Wednesday, 23 July 2014

My Four Basic Goals Part II

More than half a year ago, I wrote about my goals and narrowed them down to four. If you don't recall, here are my major goals:
  • Make sure university isn't a waste of time 
  • Read and Write 
  • Do something random and learn something new 
  • Help Out 
  • Travel 
  • Discover what I want in my dream job
And these were the 4 smaller goals that I chose to concentrate on, as well as updates:


  1. Do not neglect school for NaNoWriMo: More or less accomplished, since I didn't fail anything last semester. 
  2. Win NaNoWriMo 2013: Done *throws confetti in the air*
  3. Improve all my blogs: An ongoing process, but yes, I've made huge steps. And the Mini Bloggiesta last week certainly helped. 
  4. Help Amberbrook with their social media plan: Still ongoing, since we're revamping the whole process. 
In addition, I've been doing a few other things that fall under my huge goals. They are: 
  • Being the Bloomberg Ambassador (Goal: Discover what I want in my dream job) - I've been learning a lot about my likes and dislikes, and working style when it comes to this. 
  • Volunteered at the Social Business Forum Asia 2014 (Goal: Help out, Discover what I want in my dream job): That was a day where I learnt a lot, not just about social businesses, but how I should view my future. Plus, I got to meet Professor Yusuf! 
  • Camp NaNoWriMo (Goal: Read and Write): I have two goals, to revise last year's NaNoWriMo project and finish Draft 1 of a collaboration story that I'm doing with a friend. 
  • I also took a few MOOCs (Goal: Learn something new). One of them, Understanding Media by Understanding Google really made me think, and the readings taught me a lot that I didn't know. 
Looking back, I'm happy that even without thinking too much, I've been choosing activities that help me to progress towards my goals. But, it's time to redefine my four goals for now, in order to have something definite to work towards. My new four goals are:

  1. Integrate smart learning habits (Goal: Make sure university isn't a waste of time). I'm reading this book called How We Learn right now, and it's got a lot of things about how we can learn smarter and remember more. Summer break is coming up, which is the perfect time to experiment and see what strategies work for me and what doesn't.
  2. Continue revising Mi and You (last year's NaNoWriMo project) as well as writing Seals vs Penguins (the collaboration story) even after Camp NaNoWriMo (Goal: Read and Write). Just because there's no deadline doesn't mean I should stop, in fact, with the holidays, I should be doing more! 
  3. Go back and revise what I learnt in Latin and Ancient Greek, then learn some more (Goal: Do something random and learn something new). Sure, this doesn't have any practical application, but I've bought the textbooks, so I should really continue learning. I'm using Lingua Latina, which is supposed to be a really good textbook. Now I just have to use it! 
  4. Continue helping out with Amberbrook's Social Media plan by creating a posting schedule, assigning social media platform to people and start building a repository of good articles we can share, as well as a list of things we need to write about (Goal: help out). I realised my last goal about Amberbrook was a little vague, so here's something even more concrete. I'll be meeting the team in Singapore during my break, so here's to hoping I get things done. 
And these are my current goals. If you have any suggestions/advice, please tell me.