Friday, 1 August 2014

Final Camp NaNoWriMo Update


And just like that, the month of July is over. Which also heralds the start of my (thankfully short period of) exams, which formally started yesterday.

So, here are my overall reflections on my first Camp NaNoWriMo.

Goal-specific reflections:

Neither of my goals were met. I've only finished editing, I think about a third of the novel. And I've only written up till Chapter 16 for Seals vs Penguins, with no end in sight.

But, I'm really happy because I like the pace that I'm working at. Because of my exams, I couldn't go all out like I normally do for NaNoWriMo, and that helped me to get a more sustainable pace of writing. I can't churn out a novel in a month, but I can write three to four chapters a week, and do some revision, which means that its very likely that both goals will be met eventually.

And for Mi & You, it took one month, but I finally have some idea of how I'm going to revise the novel (pretty major changes, compared to the previous ones, which are basically just editing chapter by chapter rather than looking at the story as a whole). I'm so glad my holidays are coming up, this will take quite some time.

Cabin reflections:

While I haven't been the most active cabin member (I may be the most inactive one), I found it really encouraging to have a cabin. I even had one cabin member come to check up on me, when I neglected to update my word count.

I think if I participate in a future Camp NaNoWriMo, I will also take a more active part in the cabin, because it seems like a really good source of motivation (much like Google+ is during NaNoWriMo).

Overall:

I'm really glad that I did this. Although the timing is not the best for me, I did get the motivation I needed to continue writing. The slower pace of Camp worked well for me, and I had a lot of fun.

Of course, it also helped that I found a good writing site where I could get feedback on my works, which really helped in editing.