Saturday, 3 December 2016

November/NaNoWriMo Writing Update


Guess what? I WON NANOWRIMO THIS YEAR!!!

That makes it five years in a row! WOOHOO!

The only thing is that I was a sort of rebel this year. I started off by working on Red, a story in the Coming from Darkness series that I've been wanting to write. But, when I finished red, it only had 30000+ words. So I turned to another story that it's in the revising queue and started revising/rewriting that, and managed to hit my word count.

I'm actually really happy about that, since I had a very slow start this year (I barely wrote while I was volunteering for the Saga International Balloon Fiesta.

 
Writing Goals for 2016:

1. Publish Beauty's Daughter, which is the sequel to The Nutcracker King (if possible, I want to finish the second draft/main rewrite by this year!)
Done
2.5 Finish the second draft of The Goblin Apple by the end of the year. 
Done! I totally forgot to do an October Update, but this is what I finished in October, marking the completion of all my writing goals for 2016. I guess now I just have to think of what I want to do for 2017!
3. Publish one of the short story collections at 0.99. 
DONE

Stretch goals
4. Finish Mi & You, this WIP that's been a WIP for the last few years. 
DONE
5. Decide what I want to do with Free of Heart (this year's NaNo). If I decide to publish, I want to finish the second draft by the end of 2016 as well. Finish the rewrite of Heart-less (previously Free of Heart)
DONE

Publishing Update

I tried out Instafreebie, a website that lets you giveaway copies of your book and get people onto your mailing list. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a screenshot of the graph before my premium account expired, so I can't share that with you.

But what I do know is that over the course of one month, I gave away 582 copies of The Nutcracker King and added about 70 people to my mailing list (I didn't want to force people onto my mailing list, because I figured that all the uninterested people will just unsubscribe anyway. But I may be wrong). That's about a 12% signup percentage (with one person unsubscribing so far), and again, I'm not sure if it's good or bad since I don't have anything to compare it to. So consider this just a report, rather than an analysis.

Most of my giveaways occurred because I was in a promotion with a few other authors, so group promotions really do seem to work. Without them, I was giving away only about 4 or 5 copies a day.

Like I mentioned two paragraphs ago, I gave away The Nutcracker King, which is supposed to be first in the Coming from Darkness series. As of today, though, I haven't made any sales of Book 2 - Beauty's Daughter, but I don't know if it's because the story isn't good, or if the preview of Beauty's Daughter isn't good, or if people just haven't finished reading it yet. I suppose I'll have to wait a while before I find out.

My December will mostly be writing/revision, but I will probably be posting when it's my one year publishing anniversary, just to see how much (or little) progress I've made.